Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Summer...No Longer a Vacation

 So here I am in the last week of my third year as a school librarian. With only a classroom-size number of students to still retrieve books from, I'm feeling pretty good. I haven't completely abandoned my search and rescue efforts, but I am demoting myself from General to Captain, and putting faith in my soldiers that they will complete their duties.

Summer vacation is right around the corner!

Or is it?

No, unfortunately not (insert sad violin music here).

This librarian will be spending her summer...in school.

The whole concept of summer school is foreign to me. I never attended it while I was a student, and (until this year...sniff, cry, sniff) I never taught it as a teacher. But when I was informed that if I elected not to embrace this new opportunity, another librarian would be assigned to MY LIBRARY for the summer program, I immediately took inventory of the situation. That's another person checking out books, re-shelving books, and using all of the technology.

To be more accurate, in my mind, it went a little something like this:

"That's another person messing up my circulation system, not re-shelving my books, and doing only God knows what to all of my technology."

No, no, no, no, no, no, no

There was no debate. In order to maintain my sanity, I had to ignore the inner whispers of freedom and finally be caught by the summer school trap.

It won't be so bad.

I do get a whole week and three days off before the new school year starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment